Welcome to Year 6 at Begbrook, where we work hard and play hard. In our classrooms (both inside and out), we use our gem powers to focus well and gain new knowledge and skills; we learn across the curriculum and our reading and writing is embedded within our states of being. As well as academic learning, we also ensure that we develop personal and social skills. Here are some highlights you can look forward to:
- ‘We are Artists’ unit based on the illusion-artist: Escher. His art is inspirational and captivating.
- ‘We are Historians’ unit based on the Ancient Egyptians – but not just about pharaohs and mummies! We go all the way back to the beginning – to the formation of the Nile, to the settlement of the people of this area and to the architectural brilliance of the times!
- We are Authors – We don’t want to give anything away as we want the books that we have chosen to be a surprise for our children! All we will say, is … get ready for an adventure through a library; a journey through time and a walk down a dark alley!
- We are Scientists (Botanists, specifically!) – We learn all about the internal workings, organs and structure of plants. This includes examining xylem and phloem, exploring photosynthesis and understanding the pollination process and how it affects us (and we, it)!
- We are Geographers – Volcanoes, Earthquakes and travelling through the layers of the Earth – get ready for a wild ride!
- SATs week – some of us love it; all of us are determined to do well!
Throughout the year, we also support the children to ensure they are ready for the transition to Secondary School. If government guidance allows, here are some of the things we do:
- Y6 Residential Camp / Base Camp
- Life Skills trip
- Trip to London to watch a live West-End production
- Enterprise Week
- Transition visits to Secondary schools!